Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


*Parts of this might be construed as spoilers, if you're paying close attention.*

All right, I officially think I have book ADD. Flynn’s book is supposed to be a movie later this year, so we chose to read it for Book Club. I went halfway, I promise I did, but I didn’t care to read all the way. I looked up the ‘shocker’ ending and promptly dropped it.

First off, I HATE the characters. Amy was too good to be true in her diary and Nick was an idiotic asshole. He was honest but oblivious, childish, and selfish. I looked up the end because I truly did not care what happened to them, so I couldn’t be bothered to take the ‘roller coaster ride of suspense.’

The voice was a little confusing because it’s jumbled and conversational. Amy’s flashbacks felt too smooth and rehearsed (good to know my instincts were on the mark). I also figured Nick wasn’t that crazy because there would be more clues in his own perspective that he was an unreliable, delusional character.

I know I was supposed to hate Nick, but I feel Amy was just as flat. She was also supposed to be, but I just have no patience for that amount of fakery and false weakness, especially in women. The ending was unsatisfying but overall creative, I guess. Maybe it’ll be a better movie? I love Rosamund Pike, though seeing her as such a bitch like Amy will bother me. I also enjoy Neil Patrick Harris, and hope he brightens up the story to being enjoyable. Once I see the movie I'll update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment