Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding


This book is the fake diary of Bridget Jones: British, professional, single woman who struggles with all issues women do. She feels she's overweight, codependent, and has the worst family and silliest job ever. I looked forward to this book because I appreciate new twists on classic books. I felt like it would make me not so serious about Pride & Prejudice, and I like British humor in embarrassing situations. I found the book to be okay as opposed to great, though, mostly because of my own expectations.

She wrote in the style of Louise Rennison whom I ABSOLUTELY love, but with more adult situations. I liked the twist in the mom character, who turned out into a complete child and flipped the story around on her immature daughter. Her friends were awesome characters and Darcy was a good take on Mr. Darcy.

Colin Firth double-dipped into the Darcy character.
Overall, I found it funny and worth the read.

HOWEVER, the genre had been wearing on me of late and I don’t like it as an adaption of P&P. Bridget didn’t have siblings to contend with, she’s not a capable woman like Lizzy Bennet, and, aside from her love interests, the plot isn't at all similar to P&P. This is not necessarily a fault of the book, but it should be noted for those like me who looked forward to a spin on a classic.

In addition, the film is pretty crap, especially after having read the book. Aside from the fact that I hate Renee Zellwegger, the plot was changed to make her admirable, and her parents’ situation was completely changed.
No one needs to see that.
Finally, I would recommend it, but I don’t need to read the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment