Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

I feel like I’ve been Negative Nancy about recent book posts, so I wanted to write about a book I loved. The Weird Sisters was excellent. I picked this up as an audio book to fill my quiet drives, and it turned out to be one of the better ones I’ve ever read (but I listened to it- whatever, you get my meaning).


The story centers on 3 sisters who each have their own drama: Rosamund (Rose), Bianca (Bean), and Cordelia (Cordy). I don’t wanna say the problems because I’m afraid of spoilers, but they’re nothing too over the top. They discover that their mother has breast cancer, and they all move back in with parents in a small college town in Ohio. Their father, a Shakespeare professor, keeps the book serious and funny enough with quotes (which attract me fiercely!) and gives nods to the Brit lit fans out there.


The sisters are believable characters and, more importantly, relatable to me and my loved ones. I’m the oldest of 4 girls; Rose’s issues as an older sibling were familiar to me. I wasn’t expecting to empathize so strongly with her (I thought I’d be more like city girl Bianca or wanderer Cordy) but nevertheless I recognized Rose’s control issues within myself.

I burned the CDs for later rereading and downloaded the ebook. It was a light, comforting book that had an Alice Hoffman/Sarah Addison Allen feel to it without the supernatural elements. I liked Eleanor Brown’s Facebook page and complimented her on her good work. She’s such a cool person she took the time to respond and thank me for reading; not too many published authors do that J I can’t wait to send copies to my own sister!
This is us!

No comments:

Post a Comment