Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

This was recommended to me by someone who likes a lot of the same books I do, but it flopped. I think I understand what Evanovich was trying to accomplish, because I appreciate good-humored supernatural books (especially with the theme of the 7 deadly sins) but this one had some definite plot issues. Basically Elizabeth, a baker in small-town Massachusetts, loves her solitary lifestyle as a baker in a creepy, old house her aunt left her. Then this guy shows up, says she has magical powers and that they need to go find these stones which embody the 7 deadly sins. Even though Lizzy doesn’t really want to change her life, she goes along with him because… I’m really not sure. I have a few problems with this book, including language, bad plot devices, and lack of background.

A lot of Goodreads people bitched that it was just like her Plum series, but worse. Since I haven't read the Plum books, I couldn't tell ya.
The author’s language could be confusing because the main character had limited understanding of the situation. Elizabeth is entering a new world and has a new identity, but has no interest in exploring either, so we’re left with a flat POV. I think we were supposed to be wow-ed by her ability to make AMAZING cupcakes, but I just got hungry and irritated with her narrow-mindedness, especially since her coworkers were uber into magic. Her coworker even tried some spells with hilarious results.

The governing body of Magical People Who Are Given a Weird Title sent a guy to help her out. Diesel (crap name) is always trying to get in Lizzy’s pants, but can’t, cuz both of them could lose their powers, or some such bullshit; it was a terrible and poorly disguised plot device. It seemed like Diesel was trying to copy Matthew McConaughey’s rogue-ish adorableness but failed utterly.  

In addition, Evanovich doesn’t give a lot of background. who Diesel is or what the agency he works for is trying to do is never fully explained; neither is the cat that came to the house or Lizzy’s aunt’s true identity (we’re meant to suspect she was magical). I know writing backstory can be tedious, but it’s necessary for the readers to be able to follow along with the story. If I were Diesel and was trying to persuade someone that this whole other world exists, I would give the full history of it and the stones they’re searching for instead of just trying to build up enough sexual tension without the expectation of release.

But the worst aspect was that the mystery of the stones and why they’re important isn’t explained at all. She’s blindly sent to look for ‘em because she has a fake, poorly developed power that never woulda flown in the X-men universe.

This guy was a mutant whose skin could stretch to whatever length, which is gross and pretty useless. His abilities were still better than Lizzy's.
She also has no idea what the bad guy’s purpose in finding them was. I mean I got most of the way in to the book and still have no idea why they're so important.

One plus: Evanovich interpreted what “gluttony” was in interesting and creative ways, but it still was not enough for me to recommend the book to anyone. I had to dig into my Kim Harrison series to restore my faith in supernatural books. 
I prefer Wrath, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment