Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult

10915

Picoult is kind of hard for me to read; it's like soap opera writing, just drama between people that, really, could be solved easily if only they would do what makes them so scared. I know that's easier said than done, but I get so frustrated with characters who refuse to fall in love because they're afraid of getting hurt or stories about parents who lie to their children to protect them. Neither of those issues come up in this book, but I was afraid it would be a drama-thon like that. It did have drama, but in a more creative way.

If you've ever seen The Craft, picture that.
Salem Falls is about a group of girls who practice New Age witchcraft, or Wicca, to solve their problems and all the angst that comes with puberty. The head girl, Gillian, falls for their new history teacher, Jack St. Bride. When her feelings aren't reciprocated, she accuses him of molesting her. Because he has a record of a similar incident in the town he's from (also false), Salem Falls decides he's guilty before the trial even begins. The negative publicity he gets also kind of puts off his new girlfriend, diner owner Abby.

The book also had strong influence from this law.
See? Drama for no reason, all because of a crazy little girl. I understand, I think, what Picoult was trying to do: rehash The Crucible, one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time, using a modern hot topic. However, the book she wrote came across to me like an excuse to shit all over this poor guy. The book was frustrating for me, but I finished it out if curiosity. If you like that kind of Lifetime movie stuff, then go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment