Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Unlike My Horizontal Life, this memoir was actually funny and uplifting. Halpern's father, a gruff and hardworking man, was the subject of the book. In each story his son tells a memory of his father that had my sister and I laughing uproariously.


In most stories his dad's sarcastic and no-nonsense attitude caused trouble for the family, or taught his sons lessons in humility and growing up. In the end I learned to take his dad seriously, and appreciate the steadfast, honest upbringing of the author.

Way better than Homer Simpson
I have only seen one episode of the sitcom which was based on the book, and it had none of the same effect. Without the cussing and surliness, Shatner's character seemed ridiculous, stupid, and overly soft.


I would recommend the book for anywhere, especially a quick in-between book to cheer you up. This is an excellent example of a memoir that has a deep meaning which sneaks up on you. I would make it a Father's Day gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment